Graduate students at the Vancouver School of Economics benefit from our small cohort sizes. Our students develop strong supervision relationships with our high-quality faculty and have extensive opportunities for joint research projects. Our graduate programs offer diverse specializations, and students enjoy a well-organized program of study.
Why Graduate School at the VSE
Training in an array of theoretical, empirical, and policy-related fields
MAs secure positions at the Bank of Canada, Statistics Canada, KPMG and more
PhD graduates achieve academic research positions (tenure-track)
Master of Arts in Economics
Learn how to apply economic theory and research through our Master of Arts (MA) program.
Explore our MA program arrow_right_alt
PhD in Economics
Our PhD program provides extensive opportunities for supervision with quality research faculty, joint research and student-faculty interaction, and a diverse offering of specializations for thesis work.
Explore our PhD program arrow_right_alt
Research and Facilities
- Our research faculty hold grants from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and other funding agencies, resulting in numerous opportunities for experience as research assistants for our MA and PhD students.
- The school houses the Centre for Labour Studies and manages the British Columbia Inter-University Research Data Centre. Hence, unique training opportunities and access to data and computing resources are available to our students.
- Our computer lab is exclusive for graduate students, and our lounge offers a comfortable space to chat and work with colleagues and faculty over coffee.
- The UBC Library collection numbers over one million volumes; in terms of economics material, the holdings are extensive in serial publications and post-war literature.
- The Graduate Student Centre, of which all graduate students are members, is nearby and has facilities for social activities.
- The VSE holds regular social activities during the year. These include the grad student welcome party in September and the school’s holiday party in December. Members of our school also participate in intramural sports and the annual Walk for Joy.
Review the program requirements and application process for our Master of Arts (MA) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree programs.
Consistently ranked as one of the top schools in Canada, the VSE has a vast array of projects, labs, partnerships and centres.
PhD Job Market Placement
We provide extensive support in the placement of our PhD job market candidates. Our students secure jobs at leading research and teaching universities around the world.
VSE PhD student’s paper wins top prize from Bank of Canada
Jasmine Hao's award-winning research focused on collusion over price fixing in the Chilean pharmaceutical industry.
Incoming VSE master’s student receives top prizes from SSHRC & Bank of Canada
Jamie Emery is a promising young researcher entering the VSE's master's program.