Per the UBC Calendar, “selection for admission is based on a weighted average calculated on the grades from all credits of post-secondary coursework attempted, with the exception of 12 credits that may be excluded from the calculation”. Grades from economics and related courses are weighted more heavily in the calculation.
In particular, the admissions score heavily weights all admission requirements, as well as additional courses in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Philosophy and Political Science. Conversely, courses outside these subjects will receive minimal weight. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to select courses that will have a higher weight in their admissions score.
Admission to the Majors, Combined Majors or Honours Program in Economics is by application only. Application for 2021 is now closed.
For those planning to graduate in May or November 2024, the application form and further information will be available on this site soon.
MAJORS PROGRAM ADMISSION PREREQUISITES
Admission to the Major or a Combined Major or the Honours program in Economics requires a student to have completed at least 54 credits.
The grades used for the computation of the Econ GPA must be from at least 54 credits, and the credits must include:
- 6 credits of Principles of Economics (equivalent to UBC Econ 101 and 102)
- 6 credits of first-year University calculus (equivalent to UBC MATH 104 and MATH 105)
- 3 credits that satisfy the Writing Component of the Bachelor of Arts Writing and Research Requirement (WRDS 150, ASTU 150, CAP, Arts One, ENGL 100 or an approved equivalent)
- 6 credits of second- or third-year level courses in Economics (courses in this category are not acceptable unless they require Principles of Economics as a prerequisite).
Please see the UBC Calendar for further information: http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,304,933,0
- Click here to go to the application form: https://econ.air.arts.ubc.ca/application-form/
Note that the admissions policy on this webpage applies only for applicants in 2021. The policy is subject to revision in the future.
INFORMATION FOR DEGREE REQUIREMENTS ABOUT 2019WT2 COURSES
Please note that credits obtained from economics courses in 2019WT2 on Cr/D/F basis can be used toward the fulfillment of the requirements for Major/Combined Major/Minor degree in economics.