At UBC there are a number of courses from other departments and faculties which overlap significantly with Economics courses. As a result, we recognize these as substitutable courses for certain admissions, graduation, and credit requirements. On this page, we provide a list of approved substitutes for certain requirements. There are three types of requirements:
- First, admissions requirements: courses which are required for admission to Economics programs.
- Second, graduation requirements: courses which are required by Economics students in order to graduate.
- Third, credit requirements: courses which contribute to the total credits at different levels which Economics students require in order to graduate.
One type of substitute does not fulfill any other requirement unless specifically mentioned. This means that it is important for you to carefully check the courses you wish to substitute before registration, including the required credits at different levels.
List of Approved Substitutes
This is a list of approved substitutes for UBC-Vancouver’s Economics application and program requirements. This list is valid until the end of the 2024/2025 academic year; as the curriculum and content of courses changes over time, we revise this list periodically and reserve the right to make adjustments in future years.
If you wish to inquire about substitutes for non-ECON courses (for example, to meet the MATH or writing requirements for admission), please contact the department offering the requirement. For the Arts Writing Component, contact Arts Advising.
|Approved Substitute||Economics Course||Graduation|
|ECON 310||ECON 101||Yes||Yes||Yes||Only grants lower-level ECON credit, not upper-level.|
|FRST 101||ECON 101||Yes||Yes||No|
|LFS 101||ECON 101||Yes||Yes||No|
|ECON 311||ECON 102||Yes||Yes||Yes||Only grants lower-level ECON credit, not upper-level.|
|ECON 100||ECON 101 and 102||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ECON 315||ECON 301||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|COMM 295||ECON 301||Yes||Yes||No||Students must take ECON 303 if substituted.|
|ECON 204 |
|ECON 301||Yes||Yes||Yes||Only grants lower-level credit, not upper-level.|
|ECON 309||ECON 302||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ECON 205 |
|ECON 302||Yes||Yes||Yes||Only grants lower-level credit, not upper-level.|
|ECON 316||ECON 303||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ECON 327||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|STAT 200||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take an additional 3.0 credits of ECON 3xx/4xx.|
|STAT 203||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take an additional 3.0 credits of ECON 3xx/4xx.|
|STAT 241||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take an additional 3.0 credits of ECON 3xx/4xx.|
|STAT 251||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take an additional 3.0 credits of ECON 3xx/4xx.|
|COMM 291/191||ECON 325||Yes||Yes||No||Students must take ECON 398 if substituted.|
|ECON 328||ECON 326||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|STAT 306||ECON 326||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take ECON 398 if substituted.|
|LFS 252||ECON 326||Yes||Yes||No||Student must take ECON 398 if substituted.|
|FRE 374||ECON 374||N/A||Yes||No||Cross-listed with ECON and FRE; credit is granted only once under one code.|
|PHIL 362||ECON 318||N/A||Yes||No||Cross-listed with ECON and PHIL; credit is granted only once under one code.|
|PHIL 363||ECON 319||N/A||Yes||No||Cross-listed with ECON and PHIL; credit is granted only once under one code.|
- We do not recognize COMM 290/190, POLI 380, and SOCI 328 as approved substitutes for ECON 325.
- The department of Mathematics does not recognize UBCO MATH 116 and MATH 142 as equivalent to UBC-V MATH 100 and 101. This means that UBC-O MATH 116 and MATH 142 do not satisfy any UBC-V ECON application or program requirements.
- We do not recognize UBC-O ECON 295 and ECON 391 as approved substitutes for any UBC-V ECON application or program requirements.
- We have changed our requirements and no longer recognize BIOL 300, PSYC 218, PSYC 278, PSYC 366, GEOG 374, KIN 371, or FRST 231 as approved substitutes for ECON 325.