- Admission to the Honours Program is by application online only.
- Please note: Application into the fourth year of the program is not recommended.
- Applications must be accompanied by official transcripts from all other post-secondary institutions attended. Students should make every effort to have their applications submitted to the Vancouver School of Economics by May 20.
- Online Application form now available: CLICK HERE
HONOURS PROGRAM ADMISSION PREREQUISITES
Students entering their third year with a minimum of 54 credits with a minimum of 75% or better on all credits attempted, including those completed during summer terms. In addition, students should have taken:
- 6 credits of Principles of Economics (equivalent to UBC Econ 101 and 102)
- 6 credits of University-level Calculus (equivalent to UBC Math 104 and 105)
- 3 credits that satisfy the Writing component of the Faculty of Arts Writing and Research Requirement (ASTU 150, WRDS 150, CAP, Arts One, English 100 or an approved equivalent)
- 6 credits of 2nd or 3rd year level courses in Economics (courses in this category are not acceptable unless they require Principles of Economics as a pre-requisite)
Note: under a proposed calendar change, ECON 325 will become an admissions requirement starting in May 2023. The number of 2xx/3xx additional ECON credits required will decrease from 6 to 3. If you intend to apply to ECON programs in 2023, please plan your course scheduling to ensure you can take ECON 325 by 2022 Winter Term 2. On an exception basis, a section of ECON 325 will also be offered in 2023S.The official admission prerequisites listed above will be amended once the calendar change receives Senate approval.
Courses required under the above cannot be taken on a Credit/D/Fail basis.
Note: Students taking courses Credit/D/Fail in 2019T2 will be eligible to apply for the honours program but may receive offers of admissions that are conditional on maintaining a minimum GPA in the core 3rd year economics courses (i.e. Econ 304/305/325/326). Similar requirements may apply to all students admitted on a provisional basis.
Selection for admission is based solely on the student’s academic record. We admit the applicants with the strongest transcripts until the available positions are filled. Due to the small number of students involved, we do not release any information about the GPAs of admitted students.
NOTE: Students who wish to be considered for the honours program should enroll in ECON 304 and ECON 305 rather than ECON 301 and ECON 302.