The purpose of the CIDER Small Grants in Innovative Data is to:
- Encourage research, projects and initiatives pushing forward the use of innovative data. Including but is not limited to ‘big data’ (administrative data sets, crowd-sourced data, etc.), experimental data (lab or RCT field experiment), or innovative use of survey data
- Act as ‘bridge’ funding for proposals to be prepared for SSHRC funding in the future; Please note on the cover page if your project is in this situation
- Help and support pilot studies and new research to generate data for large scale funding application
- Facilitate the development of new curriculum and course in the field of machine learning and innovative data
- All regular research faculty from the Vancouver School of Economics and the Sauder School of Business (a partner in the CERC) are eligible to apply, either individually or in teams
- Graduate student projects (data-based research project) are also eligible, and they are highly encouraged to apply, but the principal applicant should be the faculty research supervisor for the accounting & authorization process
CIDER provides grant awards of up to $25,000 for a one-year research project. However, requests for larger amounts may be considered on a case-by-case basis. All the awards are subject to the availability of funds. Funds can be used to cover the following costs:
- Research assistants
- Data Acquisition; Subscription fees
- Project-related travel
- Required attendance & presentation of research results at a conference
- Equipment, if integral to the research (please indicate with justification in the proposal)
Regular research expenses under this award should follow UBC and tri-council rules.
Complete Applications should only be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include:
- Cover page (see format below)
- Maximum two-page project description, which must include headings:
- Brief description of the project
- Justification of project as 'innovative data'
- Description of the marginal impact of the funds
Proposal Review Panel
A panel of peers from the VSE and Sauder will evaluate the project proposals.
|Date or indicative period
|Publication of the call
|Deadline for submitting applications
|Wednesday, Nov. 24, 5 p.m. PST *
|Notification of results
|Duration of grant
|January - December 2023 **
|Annual report submission
|Duration of the action / Period of eligibility
* Please note the short timeline to submit the proposal.
**Due to the unusual number of deadline extensions outstanding due to COVID, we will only consider extensions in exceedingly rare circumstances.