Mukesh Eswaran

Professor Emeritus
phone 604 822 4921
location_on Iona Building 102B
file_download Download CV

About

I am a professor emertius in the Vancouver School of Economics at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. I am a Fellow of the Canadian Economics Association, an Associate of Theoretical Research in Economic Development (ThReD), and a Senior Fellow of the Bureau of Research and Economic Analysis of Development (BREAD).

My research interests are in the application of economic theory to understand economic phenomena. Primary areas of my interest are economic development and the economics of gender. Other areas of interest are evolutionary economics and, more recently, the economics of religion.

Teaching

Research

BOOKS

Why Gender Matters in Economics. Princeton University Press, 2014

RECENT PAPERS   

The Nature of Labor’s Vulnerability to Exploitation

Suffering, Identity, and the Economics of Religion: Implications for Subjective Wellbeing and the Good Life

Isolating the Roles of Religion, Ethnicity, and Political Ideology in Mass Atrocities,1800-2020

The Wrongs of Property Rights: The Erosion of Indigenous Communal Land Rights and its Welfare Consequences

Death by Capitalism: Quantifying `Social Murder’ Using Cross-Country Data on COVID-19 Fatalities. (with Thorsten Rogall)

Can For-Profit Business Alleviate Extreme Poverty in Developing Countries? 

Ethnic Identity in American History and America’s Exceptional Religiosity: Theory and Some Evidence

Supplementary Material Accompanying the Paper “Ethnic Identity in American History and America’s Exceptional Religiosity: Theory and Some Evidence

On Reducing the Sexual Assault of Women: What Can Economists Contribute to the debate?

Maternal Childcare: Some Macroeconomic Implications in the Time of COVID-19.

State Complicity in the Sexual Assault of Women: The Fate of Cassandra?

Decentralized Terrorism and Social Identity. (with Hugh Neary)

On the Resolution of Conflicts Over Sacred Goods. (with Hugh Neary)

Can Competition Extend the Golden Age of Antibiotics? (with Nancy Gallini)

The Evolutionary Logic of Honoring Sunk Costs. (with Hugh M. Neary)

A Gender-Based Theory of the Origin of the Caste System of India. (with Chris Bidner)

An Economic Theory of the Evolutionary Origin of Property Rights. (with Hugh M. Neary)

Self-Awareness of Culpability: The Mainspring of Moral Behavior?

Professional Affiliations

Canadian Economics Association, Fellow
Bureau of Research and Economic Analysis of Development (BREAD), Senior Fellow
Theoretical Research in Economic Development (ThRed), Associate

Mukesh Eswaran

Professor Emeritus
phone 604 822 4921

About

I am a professor emertius in the Vancouver School of Economics at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. I am a Fellow of the Canadian Economics Association, an Associate of Theoretical Research in Economic Development (ThReD), and a Senior Fellow of the Bureau of Research and Economic Analysis of Development (BREAD).

My research interests are in the application of economic theory to understand economic phenomena. Primary areas of my interest are economic development and the economics of gender. Other areas of interest are evolutionary economics and, more recently, the economics of religion.

Teaching

Research

BOOKS

RECENT PAPERS   

Suffering, Identity, and the Economics of Religion: Implications for Subjective Wellbeing and the Good Life

Isolating the Roles of Religion, Ethnicity, and Political Ideology in Mass Atrocities,1800-2020

The Wrongs of Property Rights: The Erosion of Indigenous Communal Land Rights and its Welfare Consequences

Death by Capitalism: Quantifying `Social Murder’ Using Cross-Country Data on COVID-19 Fatalities. (with Thorsten Rogall)

Ethnic Identity in American History and America’s Exceptional Religiosity: Theory and Some Evidence

Supplementary Material Accompanying the Paper “Ethnic Identity in American History and America’s Exceptional Religiosity: Theory and Some Evidence

On Reducing the Sexual Assault of Women: What Can Economists Contribute to the debate?

A Gender-Based Theory of the Origin of the Caste System of India. (with Chris Bidner)

An Economic Theory of the Evolutionary Origin of Property Rights. (with Hugh M. Neary)

Professional Affiliations

Mukesh Eswaran

Professor Emeritus
phone 604 822 4921
About keyboard_arrow_down

Teaching keyboard_arrow_down
Research keyboard_arrow_down

BOOKS

RECENT PAPERS   

Professional Affiliations keyboard_arrow_down