Michal Szkup

Associate Professor
phone 604 822 5146
location_on Iona Building 252

About

I am an Associate Professor in the Vancouver School of Economics at the University of British Columbia.

My research interest is in international macroeconomics, financial economics, and information economics with a particular focus on the role of coordination failures and financial frictions.

I obtained my PhD in 2014 from New York University and my undergraduate degree in economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Teaching

Research

For the up-to-date information please check my Personal Website 

PUBLICATIONS

No Credit, No Gain: Trade Liberalization Dynamics, Production Inputs, and Financial Development (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici) [paper,appendix], International Economic Review, forthcoming

Financial Frictions and International Trade: A Review (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Economics and Finance, May 2022 [paper,slides,link]

Preventing Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises: A Global Games Approach Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 43, January 2022 [paper,online appendix]

Sentiments, Strategic Uncertainty, and Information Structures in Coordination Games (with Isabel Trevino), Games and Economic Behavior, 124, November 2020 [link ,working paper]

Multiplier Effect and Comparative Statics in Global Games, Theoretical Economics, 15(2), May 2020 [paper,working paper]

Financial Frictions and Export Dynamics in Large Devaluations (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), Journal of International Economics, 122, 103257 , January 2020 [paper,online appendix,code]

Financial Frictions and New Exporter Dynamics (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), International Economic Review, 57(2), May 2016 [paper,online appendix,code ]

Information Acquisition in Global Games of Regime Change (with Isabel Trevino), Journal of Economic Theory 160, 2015, 387-428. [paper,online appendix]

WORKING PAPERS

Uncovering Biases in Information Choice and Its Use: The Role of Strategic Uncertainty (with Isabel Trevino) [paper]

Doubling Down on Debt: Limited Liability as Financial Friction (with Jesse Perla and Carolin Pflueger) [paper,appendix]

Information Acquisition and Self-Selection in Coordination Games (with Isabel Trevino) [paper]

Debt Overhang and Liquidity Risk [paper]

WORK IN PROGRESS

Sequential Learning and Coordination (with Xiaoye Liao)

Trade Credit and International Trade: The Role of Long-Term Relationships (with David Kohn, Emiliano Luttini, and Shengxing Zhang)

Liquidity Support During Sovereign Debt Crises: The Role of Interest Rate

Information, Trading, and Financial Sector Profits (with Jesse Perla and Shengxing Zhang)

Michal Szkup

Associate Professor
phone 604 822 5146

About

I am an Associate Professor in the Vancouver School of Economics at the University of British Columbia.

My research interest is in international macroeconomics, financial economics, and information economics with a particular focus on the role of coordination failures and financial frictions.

I obtained my PhD in 2014 from New York University and my undergraduate degree in economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Teaching

Research

PUBLICATIONS

No Credit, No Gain: Trade Liberalization Dynamics, Production Inputs, and Financial Development (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici) [paper,appendix], International Economic Review, forthcoming

Financial Frictions and International Trade: A Review (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Economics and Finance, May 2022 [paper,slides,link]

Preventing Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises: A Global Games Approach Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 43, January 2022 [paper,online appendix]

Sentiments, Strategic Uncertainty, and Information Structures in Coordination Games (with Isabel Trevino), Games and Economic Behavior, 124, November 2020 [link ,working paper]

Multiplier Effect and Comparative Statics in Global Games, Theoretical Economics, 15(2), May 2020 [paper,working paper]

Financial Frictions and Export Dynamics in Large Devaluations (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), Journal of International Economics, 122, 103257 , January 2020 [paper,online appendix,code]

Financial Frictions and New Exporter Dynamics (with David Kohn and Fernando Leibovici), International Economic Review, 57(2), May 2016 [paper,online appendix,code ]

Information Acquisition in Global Games of Regime Change (with Isabel Trevino), Journal of Economic Theory 160, 2015, 387-428. [paper,online appendix]

WORKING PAPERS

Uncovering Biases in Information Choice and Its Use: The Role of Strategic Uncertainty (with Isabel Trevino) [paper]

Doubling Down on Debt: Limited Liability as Financial Friction (with Jesse Perla and Carolin Pflueger) [paper,appendix]

Information Acquisition and Self-Selection in Coordination Games (with Isabel Trevino) [paper]

WORK IN PROGRESS

Trade Credit and International Trade: The Role of Long-Term Relationships (with David Kohn, Emiliano Luttini, and Shengxing Zhang)

Information, Trading, and Financial Sector Profits (with Jesse Perla and Shengxing Zhang)

Michal Szkup

Associate Professor
phone 604 822 5146
About keyboard_arrow_down

Teaching keyboard_arrow_down
Research keyboard_arrow_down

PUBLICATIONS

WORKING PAPERS

WORK IN PROGRESS