What do Arts Co-op grads say about their journeys in Co-op?
UBC Arts Co-op helped lay a foundation of skills for Simon that, as he says, “can be applied towards many career choices.” Simon has a message for prospective students: “Seriously consider joining the program. Regardless of your career path, it will equip you with the necessary skills to function effectively in the real world.” Secondly, “being a graduate of the Co-op program sets you apart from other graduates. You will have the skills and experience to prove to employers that you already know the ins and outs of the real world, and are head and shoulders above the other candidates.”
- Simon Lai, BA, Double Major Economics and International Relations, MA, Economics
- Co-op Work terms: Vancouver Chamber Choir, Silicon Chalk, Economical Insurance Group
- Work Since Graduating: Bank of Canada, Department of Finance, BC Financial Institutions Commission
Alexander’s co-op term at Office of Small and Medium Enterprises is highly relevant to his degree and has greatly advanced his data analysis skills. “The co-op program has provided me with a practical environment to utilize my studies and demonstrate to potential employers that I have the capabilities to make the step-up to be successful in a professional setting,” says Alexander.
- Alexander Tsai-Goodman, BIE (expected 2017)
- Co-op Work terms: Marpole Oakridge Family Place, Canadian Embassy in Thailand, Office of Small and Medium Enterprises